|
LOCKS
锁
We owe it to each other to tell stories,
我们应当给彼此讲故事,
as people simply, not as father and daughter.
作为萍水相逢的两人,而不是父亲和女儿的身份
I tell it to you for the hundredth time:
我第一百次和你这样说道:
“There was a little girl, called Goldilocks,
“从前有个小女孩,她叫金发姑娘,
for her hair was long and golden,
因为她的头发呀,又金又长,
and she was walking in the Wood and she saw—”
有一天,她在树林漫步的时候看见了——“
“—cows.” You say it with certainty,
“——一群母牛。”你说得那么肯定,
remembering the strayed heifers we saw in the woods
想起了上个月在屋后的树林,
behind the house, last month.
我们发现的那群迷路的小母牛。
“Well, yes, perhaps she saw cows,
“啊,是的,也许她看见了那些动物
but also she saw a house.”
不过她还发现了一幢房屋。”
“—a great big house,” you tell me.
“一幢又大又漂亮的屋子,”你告诉我。
“No, a little house, all painted, neat and tidy.”
“不,一幢小屋子,上过漆的,整洁的,干净的。”
“A great big house.”
“一幢又大又漂亮的屋子,”
You have the conviction of all two-year-olds.
你那样肯定,如同所有两岁的孩子。
I wish I had such certitude.
但愿我也能如此确定。
“Ah. Yes. A great big house.
“啊,好吧。一幢又大又漂亮的屋子。”
And she went in…”
然后她走了进去…“
I remember, as I tell it, that the locks
在讲故事的当儿,我忆起骚赛(见注解1)笔下,
of Southey’s heroine had silvered with age.
巾帼英雄随时光流逝而银发苍苍。
The Old Woman and the Three Bears…
老婆婆和三只熊…
Perhaps they had been golden once, when she was a child.
亦或,在她还是个孩子的时候,也曾拥有过一头金发。
And now, we are already up to the porridge,
而现在,我们已经说到麦片粥那个地方,
“And it was too—”
“第一碗太——”
“—hot!”
“——烫!”
“And it was too—”
“第二碗太——”
“—cold!”
“——凉!”
And then it was, we chorus, “just right.”
然后是第三碗,我们异口同声:“刚刚好。”
The porridge is eaten, the baby’s chair is shattered,
麦片粥吃完了,熊宝宝的椅子坐坏了,
Goldilocks goes upstairs, examines beds, and sleeps,
金发姑娘上了楼,拣了床,接着不明智地
unwisely.
昏昏睡去。
But then the bears return.
可是,熊儿们回家了。
Remembering Southey still, I do the voices:
边惦记着骚赛,我边模仿起
Father Bear’s gruff boom scares you, and you delight in it.
熊爸爸粗暴的呼噜声,逗得你又怕又喜。
When I was a small child and heard the tale,
当年幼的我听到这个故事时,
if I was anyone I was Baby Bear,
我觉得我就是那只熊宝宝,
my porridge eaten, and my chair destroyed,
我的麦片粥被人偷喝了,我的椅子被人坐坏了,
my bed inhabited by some strange girl.
我的床被某个陌生的丫头占去了。
You giggle when I do the baby’s wail,
我模仿起熊宝宝的哭闹声,你被逗得咯咯笑,
“Someone’s been eating my porridge, and they’ve eaten it—”
“有人偷喝了我的麦片粥,而且他们把它全喝光了——”
“All up,” you say. A response it is,
“一起上去,”你说道。这是一句回答,
Or an amen.
亦或一声祈祷。
The bears go upstairs hesitantly,
熊儿们迟疑地走上楼,
their house now feels desecrated. They realize
觉得自己的屋子受到了侵犯。它们现在意识到
what locks are for. They reach the bedroom.
锁的用处了。他们走进卧室。
“Someone’s been sleeping in my bed.”
“有人睡过了我的床。”
And here I hesitate, echoes of old jokes,
讲到这儿我犹豫了,脑海中浮现起那些
soft-core cartoons, crude headlines, in my head.
旧式笑话,软核(见注解2)漫画和拙劣标题。
One day your mouth will curl at that line.
某一天你会因这句台词而微笑。
A loss of interest, later, innocence.
不再好奇,随后,不再无邪。
Innocence, as if it were a commodity.
无邪就好像成了某种消费品。
“And if I could,” my father wrote to me,
“如果可以的话,”我的父亲这样写给我道,
huge as a bear himself, when I was younger,
当我年少时,他像熊爸爸那样高大,
“I would dower you with experience, without experience,”
“不管你有没有经验,我都会把我的所知传授给你,”
and I, in my turn, would pass that on to you.
现在轮到我了,我也会把我的所知传授给你。
But we make our own mistakes. We sleep
可是我们总有自己的错误要犯。我们总会不明智地
unwisely.
昏昏睡去。
The repetition echoes down the years.
轮回在岁月中重复自己。
When your children grow, when your dark locks begin to silver,
当你的孩子长大,当你的青丝变银,
when you are an old woman, alone with your three bears,
当你成为了老婆婆,和你的三只熊相依为命,
what will you see? What stories will you tell?
你会看见什么?你会讲述什么样的故事?
“And then Goldilocks jumped out of the window
“接着呀,金发姑娘从窗口跳下,
and she ran—”
逃走了——”
Together, now: “All the way home.”
我们异口同声:“一路逃回家。”
And then you say, “Again. Again. Again.”
然后,你说道:“再讲一遍。再讲一遍。再讲一遍。”
We owe it to each other to tell stories.
我们应当给彼此讲故事。
These days my sympathy’s with Father Bear.
如今我同情那只熊爸爸。
Before I leave my house I lock the door,
所以离家前我锁上门,
and check each bed and chair on my return.
回家后我检查每一张椅子每一张床
Again.
一遍又一遍。
Again.
一遍又一遍。
Again.
一遍又一遍。
注解1:罗伯特·骚塞(Robert Southey,1774-1843):英国著名的湖畔派浪漫主义诗人。出生于英国布里斯托尔(Bristol)的一个布匹商家庭。由于他与沃滋华斯(1770-1850)和柯勒律治(1772-1834)三人,曾一同隐居于英国西北部的昆布兰湖区(Lake District in Cumberland),先后在格拉斯米尔和文德美尔两个湖畔居住,以诗赞美湖光山色,所以有“湖畔派诗人"之称。他的父亲去世早,家境贫寒,后由他的叔叔供他上了西敏斯特学校(Westminster School)。1792年,因为他在校刊发表文章反对学校体罚学生而被学校开除。1794年在牛津大学巴略尔学院(Balliol College, Oxford)读书时,结识了柯勒律治,二人遂成为挚友,并有共同的观点、计划和写作实践,曾与柯勒律治合作,计划在美国创建一个新乌托邦,取名“大众平民社”(Pantisocracy),未果。1795年与艾迪丝·佛理克(Edith Fricker)结婚,艾迪丝是柯勒律治太太莎拉·佛理克(Sara Fricker)的姐姐。1796-1798年间,他写了许多歌谣体诗歌,包括《隐奇角岛礁》(Inchcape Rock)和《布伦汉战斗》(The Battle of Blenheim)。1813年被封为桂冠诗人。由于生活贫困和观点的日趋保守,后期诗歌作品不受欢迎,而且经常受到其他年轻的浪漫,浪漫主义诗人如拜仑等的批评甚至攻击。骚塞的主要作品是历史人物传记研究,如《罗伯斯庇尔的覆亡》(Fall of Robespierre,1794)、《贞德》(Joan of Arc: An Epic Poem, 1796)和《纳尔逊传》(Life of Nelson)等。
——这是网上找到的资料。[y:1]
注解 2:在网上稍微查了下。西方人曾把情色作品分为软核 (soft core)和硬核 (hard core)两类,软核指的是女人被攫取,被使用——好像不会直接出现很赤裸裸的性器官和性爱场面。硬核指的则是女人被捆绑,被鞭打,被折磨,被羞辱,被杀害,我的理解就是百无禁忌啦。
——无语中。[y:16]
新手的困扰:摇头~新手就是新手,自己翻的连自己也不是特别满意,诗不诗,文不文的,不是很工整也不是很押韵。我把我极其不确定的译文都标为了绿色,希望高手能帮忙指正。[y:4] 尤其是翻到全是绿色的那段——痛苦得几乎想自杀呀~[y:14] [y:15]
Locks有“锁”和“头发”两种含义,权衡之下,我还是用“锁”来作为本诗的标题。
读后感:尼尔的为父者心情可见一斑啊…… |